Originally published in the Summer + Fall 2019 issue.
From Avery Brewing
FOR THE CARROT HABANERO SALSA:
3 habanero peppers
1 cup carrots, roasted
3 cups onion
2 tbsp garlic
1 red pepper, roasted
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
3 cups orange juice
1. Lightly coat red peppers in oil, and place them on the grill until “burnt.”
2. In a bowl, cover the roasted peppers with plastic wrap. Allow it to steam.
3. Pull the stem off, and peel the skin off of the red peppers.
4. Remove the stems from the habaneros.
5. Combine all ingredients into a medium stock pot, bring to a boil.
6. Allow to boil for over an hour, allowing everything to soften.
7. Puree everything to achieve a silky consistency
FOR THE SLAW MIX:
Purple cabbage, carrots, white cabbage, watercress — tossed in slaw vinaigrette.
FOR THE SLAW VINAIGRETTE:
2 cups rice vinegar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup ground fennel
1 tbsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups honey
2 tbsp fennel seed, roasted and chopped
2 cups salad oil (canola)
1/2 cup olive oil
1. In a saute pan, toast fennel seed. Finely chop it.
2. Combine everything into mixer, except oil.
3. Start on low speed, then change to medium. Make sure to cover the guard with a towel or plastic wrap to contain the spraying.
4. Slowly add canola oil to emulsify.
5. Add olive oil to finish emulsification.
FOR THE VEGETABLES
Use whatever is in season
1 butternut squash, medium diced
cauliflower, small florets
1. DO NOT MIX squash and cauliflower, do them separately.
2. Toss in EVOO, and light salt and pepper.
3. Spread out on a sheet tray.
4. Pan-roast in 400-degree oven until semi soft (30-45 min).
1 cup baby kale (If you do not have baby kale, make sure to correctly clean kale by removing the leaves from the stems. Then cut to small size.)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup herbed chevre
2 avocados, halved, peeled and grilled
1/2 cup pickled shallots
1. Heat up a saute pan, add EVOO. Add minced shallots, squash, zucchini, and light salt and pepper.
2. Once they are hot, add cooked quinoa and kale, hit it with a little water to steam.
3. Assemble tacos with roasted veggies, slaw and grilled avocado. Garnish with chevre and pickled shallots.